In this episode, we chat with Bill Schmitt, the editor of Telling Stories That Matter, a volume of collected memoirs and essays by Fr. Marvin O'Connell. We chat about Fr. O'Connell's long tenure in Notre Dame's department of history, how he was tapped to write the biography of Holy Cross Father Edward Sorin, and how his pastoral ministry as a priest related to his scholarly work in the classroom.
- Telling Stories That Matter: Memoirs & Essays by Fr. Marvin R. O'Connell — The late historian Marvin O’Connell left a legacy of brilliant prose and pictures of the past, and in this book the reader at long last has access to O’Connell’s own story.
- Edward Sorin by Marvin O'Connell — This sweeping book offers the definitive account of the life and labors of Edward Sorin, founder of the University of Notre Dame. "Edward Sorin" is a lively, colorful history of the man who overcame great odds to found and grow one of the world’s premier Catholic institutions of higher learning.
- OnWord.net — Bill Schmitt's blog and links to his work.
- EncounterPoints Podcast — EncounterPoints is a podcast conversation hosted by Bill Schmitt and Ken Hallenius which explores their lived experience as Catholic men who are, like all people, called to be missionary disciples.
- Theme Song: "I Dunno by Grapes — I dunno by grapes (c) copyright 2008 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license. Ft: J Lang, Morusque